At First Glance
|Maybelline spoon curler brush|
Claim v. Reality
Claim (according the product page on Maybelline's site):
- 300% more visible lashes
- Fanned out lashes as a result of spoon curler brush
- Volume without clumping because of pro-keratin formula
After trying this mascara for about a week, I've found that it does actually give lashes length and some volume. There was the tiniest bit of clumping, but lashes really did flare out and were mostly separated. I've included images from the two coats I did (it didn't require more than that to get noticeable results).
|Pathetic naked lashes that have been curled. So sad :(|
|1st Coat: As you can see, the mascara not only defined and lengthened my lashes, it actually curled them as well.|
|2nd Coat: Here's the second coat. More length, more curl, more volume! The only tip I have is don't take pics between coats (Maybelline suggestion not to apply more once it's dry) as it causes a tiny bit of clumping.|
|Closed Eye View: Look, I have lashes!!! Here you can see that while there is some clumping, it really isn't that bad. It's also mostly due to the fact that I had to wait to take the pic between coats which allowed the first coat to dry.|
- Con - Mascara ingredients are seriously anything but natural, so if you want drama (from what I've found so far) you have to relent and use whatever works best regardless of the ingredients for the most part.
- Pro - It's waterproof! Major pro!
- Pro - It's drugstore so it's cheap! I think I paid $6.50 or so? Major pro!
- Pro - It dries to a very dry-feeling consistency. I didn't notice it breaking off when I wore it, but it makes me wonder if I had a long day or less than ideal weather if it would get super brittle. I prefer mascaras that leave my lashes with a nice rubbery feel to them. I was kind of surprised how dry this felt when I touched my lashes because other Maybelline Falsies didn't dry this way.
I'm a little torn on this one. On the one hand, it did give me a noticeable effect. On the other hand, the dry texture of the mascara on my lashes isn't something I like and I almost feel like the mascara is a bit less "shiny black" than other mascaras--though this is certainly a dark black mascara.
Price: $6.50 from what I have seen.
Would I recommend it or use it again?
Is this my Holy Grail mascara? No
Would I use this mascara again? Definitely. I'll probably alternate this in to my lineup of mascaras. I usually have 4 or 5 different mascaras in rotation at any one time ;)
Would I recommend this? I'd definitely suggest this to someone looking for curl and length, but I would also mention what I feel are downsides--dryness mostly.
If you'd like to purchase Maybelline Falsies Flared mascara, you can go to Maybelline's site HERE or try visitingTarget, CVS, or any other drugstore that carries Maybelline products.''
This product was purchased by me. All opinions stated above are my own.